Rooster hurt my hen

Pebblypoo

Hatching
Jul 31, 2015
I'm new here and new to having chickens....about 5 months. I have a large enclosed coop with a dirt floor. I have 18 hens and 2 roosters. I go collect my eggs each night after work. Last night one of my Plymouth barred rock hens (I have 4) was bleeding from her comb and "hiding" in one of the nesting boxes. I collected my eggs and fed and changed the water. While I was doing this, she came out of the nesting box and the rooster attacked her and jumped on her back and began pecking her head. I swatted him away and grabbed her up and cleaned her up and held her. I notice that all of her feathers on her head were gone. I'm wondering why Rooster Cogburn is picking on her? They have all gotten along ever since I got them several months ago and RC didn't attack any of the other hens, just this one. Any ideas? And should I isolate her until her feathers grow back on her head? I checked on her this morning and she was back in the nesting box (not broody) and seemed ok.

He isn't picking on her,he is attempting to mate with her.And roosters can be rough,escpecially the young roosters.I would split him up.

I don't believe they aremating with her. I have seen then (they are both young) mate with all of the hens. But both of these roosters are deliberately being mean. They have pulled every feather out of her head and bloodied her comb and they chase her unrelentlessly. There are three other Plymouth barred rock hens and they are all fine. This one hen has been bloodied and bullied. They aren't doing that to any of the other hens. When I found her, the roosters had her cornered in tall grass and were pecking the hell out of her head. She has no head feathers and is very bloody. I picked her up and placed her in a dog crate with straw, food and water and put her on the opposite side of the coop where there are no other chickens. What are they, masochists? lol How long until her head feathers grow back? It was like they got a taste of blood and wanted more! Little ba$$ards!!!

That's a hard one, it sounds like they have taken a real hate to her. I would keep her seperate to heal but make sure she is still in the actual run so still part of the flock otherwise she is just going to get picked on by the entire flock when you put her back. It only takes as little as 2-3 days for an out of sight hen to loose it's place In the pecking order and the whole flock feel the need to put it in its new place on return.

I would keep an eye they don't then turn their attentions to picking on someone new and if they do I wouldn't keep them.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. So just put the crate in the coop with the other chickens? I was afraid doing that would scare her to see them still trying to get at her, but that makes sense. She has been isolated from them since Saturday afternoon, so when I get home today, I will put the crate in the coop. I let her free range today to get some exercise, but she's free ranging alone, so I hope nothing gets her. How long before her head feathers come back and how long should I keep her in the crate? I guess I just need to keep on eye on her when I let her out with the other chickens and see how they treat her. I just wanted her bloody head to heal in case it was the blood they were after. Poor girl!

I agree with The Two Roos...a five month old Roo is just trying out his luck here....been there, did that..

You need to monitor the behaviour..split the mean behaving Roo and handle him personally..his hormones are rampant at the moment...give him another few weeks and see if he offers feed to the girls...

It is apparent that the Roo favours this one girl...he is not being aggressive...just following his natural instincts albeit that he appears to be a enthusiastic right now..

Back
Top Bottom