Rooster hurting hens, badly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bogee, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    My hens are getting ripped up pretty badly by our rooster. I have them seperated in a different coop and the roo is in a box in the back yard till tomorrow morning. Some of the wounds are pretty deep but are scabbed over already. Is there anything other than a roasting pan to do with the rooster, and how quick do the hens heal? One is particularly nasty looking we sprayed it with peroxide and and we are keeping our fingers crossed!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can trim the roosters toenails and blunt the tips of his spurs - this MAY help. I would keep the rooster separate from the hens until they are healed. If you are collecting eggs for hatching, the hens will retain high fertility for up to two weeks. Some roosters are just too large, clumsy and over aggressive to remain with the flock on a full time basis. The problem you have now can become even worse once flies appear and start laying eggs in the wounds resulting in maggot infestation.

3. bogee

bogee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    I think this roo is going to have to go. He attacks the granddaughter & grandson routinely. Our 5 yr old granddaughter is afraid to go in the yard. Our 13 yr old grandson wont go out without something to fend him off. I think its time for him to get set next to some waffles!

4. Eva2012

Eva2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Perris, CA
    Keep them separate. I would not let them together until the wounds are completely healed. Eggshellmembrane heals wounds nicely, if you can find a way to keep it on the wound.

How did he injure the hens? If he is just simply mean - he needs to be culled.
    If he hurts them mounting them, I have seen some hen saddles that prevent that kind of injury. I have never tried them. They are available at mypetchicken.com

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ahh, you provide more information. If he is human aggressive, and kids are involved, kill or get rid of him tomorrow. It's not worth the possibility that he might seriously injure the children.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by