Rooster hurting Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allosaurusrock, Apr 23, 2016.

1. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    Hello everyone! I really hope you can help me with this problem. I have a Black Australorp, who is an absolute gem to people, but evil to the hens. He is young, and I am aware that some go through a phase, but he is aggressive. After mating, (quite brutally) he will continue pecking the head and comb of the hens. My 8 week old chicks are small enough to escape, and when they got to where he was, my rooster picked one of them up by the scruff of the neck and shook her/him. He has left my speckled sussex with a gaping hole in the back of her head. He chases the girls around and doesn't give them a break. Is there any way to stop this behavior?

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Put him in a pen by himself where they can all see each other but he cannot get to them.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    And do it for a long time - they can be nutters when they are young!

4. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    I have tried this.

5. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I understand, but his hormones are raging right now ... he is young and he needs to mature which will take a while. Separating him for a short time isn't long enough. I don't see a lot of options, other than rehoming him or separating him.

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    But for how long?
    You might need to keep him separated for a couple months.

7. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    I will continue doing that! Thank's for your input! I just have to convince my family that keeping him separated isn't cruel.

1 person likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The " gaping hole in the back of her head." isn't convincing enough evidence?!?!?!?

1 person likes this.
  9. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    Lesson i have recently learned the hard way: one rooster's suffering does not trump an entire flock's suffering. It's easy to not want to be cruel to him, but he is being cruel to everyone. You might be amazed at the behavior shift when the hens realize they are safe from him. Someone on here said to me :no rooster is better than the wrong rooster" and that is absolutely true. Keeping him separated for a few months might be painfully boring for him, but keeping him in with ladies could be traumatizing for them and possibly stress them enough to kill them or to destroy their entire social dynamic.

10. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Eat him.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by