rooster hurting hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KooKoe, Aug 2, 2011.

1. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    I was wondering if you folks could help me. My rooster (sussex) is hurting my hens very badly when he mates with them. His spurs are not sharp yet, but his claws are rather sharp. He gashed one of my girls so bad that I lost her! Does anyone have advice on how to deal with the problem, other than a hen apron?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Get rid of the rooster, eat him, or stick him in a bachelor pen. Your hens don't deserve this rough treatment.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old is you rooster? And how big is he compared to your hens? If he is young, there may still be hope for him. Roosters just getting the hang if the mating process are a bit clumbsy and sometimes are rough on their hens without meaning to be. However, some are just rough in general. If your boy is older than a year, I would get rid of him (however you feel comfortable). There are way too many nice, gentle roosters out there to be dealing with one that's a jerk. Good luck!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How many hens does he have? How old is he? If he's young, he may grow out of it.

I'm surprised you lost the hen, I have had them heal from predator attacks far worse, just cleaned the wound with diluted Betadine and packed it with antibiotic ointment daily.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Trim his nails and separate him from the hens only allowing 'conjugal' visits when you want fertile eggs. Some roosters are just too big, clumsy and rough-- others just need to grow up and improve their technique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by