Rooster hut photos?

annette'spets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
vero beach, Fl.
could anyone share some photos of rooster "A" frame for one rooster? We made three separate outside pens for our roosters because they were fighting -one nearly killed his brother! Used a good bird netting over top but need a place for them to get out of the sun (Fla.) and rain , wanted something not to big since we are putting a small tree for cover and want the whole place to look attractive (it's near the gate entrance). Thinking about corrugated green plastic. Any photos or suggestions would be appreciated.

I drove by a house that had at least 20 roosters (probably way more than that). Each one was kept in a "hut" made out of a circle of fencing with a garbage can lid (or something of similar size) stuck on top. There was plastic around the upper portion for shade (I'm assuming).

Poor roosters.

For short-term housing, I've used dog kennels, with the tray on top for a roof. This was in the summer, in a protected, shaded area, inside my predator-proof run. Raccoons will pull a chicken right through the bars on a kennel; I learned that the hard way
sad.png

Thanks all of you for the replies- we have spent an unbelievable amount of time on this project, making it comfortable for them, down to the landscaping. Can't see keeping them in small cages either. I like the wooden barrels for a house but can't find affordable price yet. Any decent looking ones, metal or plastic. Gave up for now on the "A" frame . Maybe I will send some photos of my own when it's all done. At least the hens are happy as can be now!

Quote:
See I would probably bend a sheet of tin in half into an A shape to copy that. I'd use the "nicer" colored tin instead of the tin-barn type stuff, it's about 4ft wide so there would be plenty of space inside. Actually, at 8ft long, you could possibly make two from one sheet, but I imagine that unless the weather was really nasty the roo would probably prefer to roost on top of the shelter rather than inside. Still, he'd have options and you could keep the feed dry.

Lots of possibilities really!

Make an oversized sawhorse, put plywood on both sides and one end.... Not predator-proof, but if you have them in a run that is predator-proof, it should be OK. I put all my roosters in a single building, but they have a very large run so they can distance themselves from one-another. It also helps to reduce competition if they can't see the hens. But they are roosters...males of any variety seem to find it necessary to "ruffle" one another's feathers from time to time..even human males.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=24522&l=661797d445&id=1675942885 My Rooster Roost. 8x8 converted hog feeder.

Last edited:
Both great ideas,Tala and A Rose for Heaven, I agree those 30 for $299. were clinical looking. Since we had concrete blocks ,cheap and sturdy, I stacked three high on three sides about three feet apart, will paint them and now all I need is a roof. Can't think of some material beside wood( not good) that will hold up to weather. Guess it will end up looking more like a rooster fort!
Now I can register as a true chicken lover, what a labor intensive job. The hens are so happy and actually the three roosters out back in their own territory seem content to strut and scratch around their shady palm tree and jump up on the perch to crow.

Back
Top Bottom