rooster i.d.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gutpile, Aug 5, 2011.

1. gutpile

gutpile New Egg

May 23, 2011
    I'm new to the chicken world, but have been free ranging an Americauna and a red sexling for about a month. I was told they were both hens and was anxious to start getting eggs. Recently the egg box bedding is showing signs of use, ( feathers present and matted down). The Americauna recently also started getting aggressive with the Red. Then yesterday, it crowed. I haven't heard this before. Do hens ever do this when getting ready to lay or do I have myself a rooster.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Lots of members have said they have hens that crow, but I'm betting your's is a rooster. If he's been getting agressive with your hen, he might be trying to mate with her. They can be kind of clumsy and a bit violent at first, especially if the hen is not ready and cooperating with him.

If you can post a pic, that would help verify roo or hen....

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Bet it's a boy. they are hard to sex. It's probably an Easter Egger (sold as Ameraucanas by hatcheries, but they are mixed breeds) so it can probably be sexed by color. You need 10 posts to post a pic. What color is your Ameraucana? If it has red patches on its wings, it's definitely a boy. Most EE boys have that. [​IMG] Hope that helps!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by