Rooster ID by crowing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vermontgal, Sep 14, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, I still have two iffy young chickens - an EE (11.5 weeks) and a BR (10.5 weeks). I'll post pictures again when I get a new camera. The old camera just broke.

I know that it is about time that these chickens could start crowing, if they are males. If they start crowing, dare I ask whether there is a "usual" time for them to crow?

My bedroom is on the far side of the house from the chicken coop, and I am a sound-sleeping night owl. I am not up at dawn. I know I have friends who have chickens, and they seem to crow in the middle of the night (2-3 am). Is dawn really the most likely time? Are they likely to crow at other times, too, when they are first getting started? I have my earlier-rising neighbors keeping an ear out for me, too.

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband reports that our rooster crows as early as 4 am. I don't seem to hear him then.[​IMG] However, I do hear him by 5:30 when I get up and he continues throughout the morning.

Maybe if they do turn out to roos, you'll sleep through it like I do.[​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine crow all day long! You also may not hear them crow for quite awhile still. My 21 wk. old BR just started crowing a week or so ago. He threw me off big time! [​IMG]

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The crow all day long whenever they feel like it! Chickens are jerks that way. In the morning they'll start at first light.

My coop with 8 roosters is about 15 feet from my bedroom window but I can't hear them in the morning. On days off work I'll sleep till noon and they don't ever wake me up. Two things though, I never have my window open at night and I have a small air purifier on all night for white noise. It cost 15 bucks at Walmart- definately a good investment. [​IMG]

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My DH and I used to like to sleep outside on the kids' trampoline on summer nights (when the kids weren't sleeping on it [​IMG]). We had roosters (BA/EE cross) that crowed all hours of the night, and then all through the day. They didn't take time off for dark. Luckily many of our hick neighbors had roosters too, so no one complained...

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Mine crowed all day long, and most of the (very) early morning, too.

Common times would be between 4 and 7 am, early afternoon, and maybe around midnight if something woke them up.

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info. As I am a night owl, I thought perhaps I would miss the crowing. [​IMG]

Yes, I'd be likely to sleep through any crowing myself - but I still couldn't keep roosters as my lot is only 0.11 acres and, depending on where my chicken tractor is at the moment, the chickens may actually be closer to my neighbors' houses than mine! [​IMG]

Fortunately, I have chicken-interested neighbors, so that they don't care if I let the chickens free-range in the backyard a bit (including onto the neighbor's lawn). Technically, my urban chickens are supposed to be in an "enclosure."

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have a silkie rooster who I could swear is on China time or something! He crows at almost the same times everyday about 9:00, 2:00, and 4:00.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine also have a habit if crowing when they go to roost in the evening. But basically, they crow all day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by