Rooster ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by admts50, Mar 11, 2017.

1. admts50

admts50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I would like people to weigh in on what kind of rooster this is... Mostly likey a cross. He is rather large and friendly. We raised him from a day old chick. Now we are going to be incubating some eggs feritized by him and wanted to know what to possibly expect..... Mystery is part of the fun though! [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had two roosters that looked similar to yours, and we know they had some Golden Pencilled Hamburg in the mix...so I would say something with that Pencilled pattern. And, maybe some Marans mixed in there? He is very pretty though. When we had ours, one was the alpha rooster and he fathered several chicks with that pencilled pattern, they were very consistently colored like their father, and were gorgeous. Good luck with yours.

3. admts50

admts50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Thank you for your input! I definitely agree with the penciled markings. His somewhat feathered legs throw me off a bit. I feel like that narrows him to some sort of Brahma or Cochin mix .... Maybe with the Maran you mentioned !

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Barred Rock/Cochin cross would be my guess. A Brahma cross would be pea combed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's not penciling, that's barring. so, something barred, Rock or Cochin are the best guesses.

No Marans, they have white skin which is dominant. Otherwise, that could account for a few things, but it would have to be a few generations back to lose that white skin.

He looks to have only one barring gene, so his babies will be a fun mixed bag. Half will be barred, half will be non-barred, regardless of gender. His blue will work with any black in the momma hens, making half blue and half black. His feathered legs should carry down, the chicks should all have at least lightly feathered legs.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 Beautiful roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by