1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster In chicken Jail til wed night!!! UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gmendoza, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    My roo Speckles is a bad boy.

This weekend he was running Bumpus( bantam roo) around the coop and run. Made Bumpus tired and hungry.So I made a chicken security shelter on the other side of my coop inside my run.Its 3' x 3' x 6' high.Only Bantams and the quail can get in there.Bumpus found his way in there,ate,drank,then went back into the coop to sleep for the night tucking his head in his feathers.

Well after comming home last night I went to go change their water and I saw Bumpus.His comb was torn and some blood on his neck.I saw that there wasnt a cut on his neck,just his comb...so I thought "Speckles'! Also the waterer in the security shelter had blood all over it.

I put Speckles into the security shelter area.Now its a rooster jail.

This morning I looked intot the coop before going to work. Bumpus's comb has stopped bleeeding,and Speckles is still in jail.

He will make parole this wed night.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    LOL. Time out for chickens. Love the theory. Let us know how it worked for you.....

3. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    My hen Grace goes in jail atleast 1 a week for an hour or 2 because she is mean to her 15 other sisters!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Gotta love time out for chickens. Hope he heals quick.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have to do that occassionally too....my segragation area is called "The Cock Pit" [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Segregation of roosters does not shuffle the pecking order like with hens. When you release him, rooster wars will continue. I'm betting that given the size difference of your roosters your only solution will be permanent separation.

7. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Speckles is a pretty smart roo,and hes been doing this since its warm.He didnt do this before,even last year.I think mating is getting to him.

I will put Bumpus with his 3 women in the security coop permanently, or just make more access holes for him thru the coop and another one on the bottom of the door to the secure area.

For now Specks knows hes in trouble. Out of all the roos Ive had,he by far is the smartest.

8. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    UPDATE ON SPECKLES

He was paroled on Wed night. He has really learned his lesson.He hasnt touched Bumpus at all,and reaffirmed to his girls who boss is.

Hes a little more scared of me,which is good. All I want him to do is Gurad the coop,mate,leave Bumpus alone,eat,drink,scratch around, and sleep. [​IMG]

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

10. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Can I send my children to you? They need a time out too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by