Rooster in confinement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Riparian, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I have a rooster seperated in a small room in my basment until he heals up.

My hens pecked out all his feathers around his neck and chest, which caused him to get really weak during that last -25 degree cold snap. Then the younger barred rock moved in, and tried to kill him. Beat him up pretty bad. I knew he wouldnt survive in the coop during the winter with no feathers and now bloody wounds, so Ive moved him to my cellar until his feathers come back a decent amount and the frostbite on his comb and wattles heals up.

Hes been down there for a few days and I am wondering if I should be exposing him to a few hens, or the coop for a couple hours while he heals up. I want him down there for at least 30 days.

Im not so crazy about the younger BR rooster, hes always had an attitude problem and hes become really aggressive since the alpha was removed.

So should I socialize this rooster while he is healing up? or is this uneccesary? I know hes pretty lonely down there, I dont want him to snap and go beserk all of a sudden, attacking humans and whatnot.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well, you should make him like you, hold him and suck, i wouldnt put him in the coop if he is gonna get beat up. Is he in a dark basement, or does he have light? and does he crow in your basement?! [​IMG]

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, if you can do it, I'd say yes, give him a couple of the bottom-of-the-pecking-order hens to keep him company. Can they go out separate from the rest of the flock to get some outdoor time?

4. Riparian

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    lol, no he has lights and a window and food and water and a roost and all the best amenities. He seems quite happy to be down there, probably cause when I put him down there he was close to death.

He crows every morning. Since I have to wake up early for work anyway its kinda nice.

5. Riparian

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:None of them are ranging right now, there is 3 ft of snow outside.

To simplify my question, I am wondering if a month of confinement will effect a roosters behaviour?

6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Quote:Ha Ha until the neighbors come over for coffe one morning! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Giving him a couple girls may boost his morale. If your BR is getting high and mighty, take him out when you put the patient back in. Taking him out for a while will take him out of line in the pecking order and will give your patient a chance to reestablish himself. He will have to start at the bottom.

In the morning can you put your patient in the run with his girls before you let the others out? Fresh air and exercise should help him to feel better. Get some BagBalm for his wounds if its still really cold, it will help them heal plus protect his damaged skin from the elements.

8. Riparian

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    heres a couple pics of the patient just for kicks. You can see the missing feathers and the frostbite. Hes kinda ticked cause i woke him up to take these photos.

I live in an old farmhouse, I have an old cellar so its not like he lives in the basment on my best carpet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would put cream on his frostbite if he will let you. I was and diaper cream I have on hand. IMO it help the healing.

10. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    poor thing, you woke him up, and the camera flashed him, and now he has eyes like when you wlk in the bathroom at night and turn on the light. [​IMG]
    Riparian :

I live in an old farmhouse, I have an old cellar so its not like he lives in the basment on my best carpet.

I know what you mean, i have had chickens in the basement before​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by