Rooster in fight, wattles puffed up like balloons

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Our 6 month old cochin/silkie rooster (Sir Robin, he walks like the Monty Python knight) was in a fight and ended up with a bloody comb. Not too worried about that - I'm worried about his sideburn wattles puffing up like small balloons (or really full dog ticks!).

I'll give him a bath tomorrow, to get rid of the blood, but an thoughts on his wattles? Thanks!

I had a cochin roo get into a fight also. His comb and wattles were all bloddy and torn. I washed him up real good and put an antibacterial ointment on him. He is fine but missing half of a wattle. His girls still love him though.
Gayle

Thanks - he's about to get bathed. My concern about his wattles is with this ballooning, should the wattles be lanced? It looks like an abscess, on both sides. He's got those techno color silkie sideburn wattles. Is this indicative of a severe infection?

Hmm. I wouldn't lance it yet. If it is inflamed, there will be nothing to lance anyways because it is in the tissue. I say just get him cleaned up and stuff should calm down. I think his sideburn waddles are his face patches right?

I wouldn't lance them yet, either. You can crush a half of baby motrin and feed it to him in a syringe with water to help with the swelling. If you only have adult motrin, use about a quarter of a piece, or less if you can break it that small.

He's looking much better after his bath and is hanging out with me inside until he's a bit more dry. His wattles are still enormous. I've given him some pedialyte with crushed baby aspirin, as it's what I had. He's a very handsome roo!

I'm trying to include a photo, without luck. Sorry - how do i do that with a mac?

Pedilyte is great to use with sick or distressed birds. I've heard you can't use the grape flavored, though. I think it has to do with the dyes or flavors they put in it being lethal to birds. I don't know what or how, but I'm not taking a chance!

You'll have to use an image host, like Photobucket.
CLICK HERE to go to the site and upload photos. From there, you'd put the link between the html in the "IMG" button (shown when you post).

those are his earlobes (could not view a couple pics because they were too large) ... just clean them and put neosporin on them after and keep him separated from the rest of the birds...they might continue to peck at the injured area

Back
Top Bottom