Rooster in my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beatriceanrufus, Nov 20, 2013.

1. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    This is really important, I have one rooster barred rock name rufus and one hen Easter egger named Beatrice. Just this morning, we verified that Rufus is a rooster. And my mom said that we can't keep a rooster, and my chickens have been together since they were 3 days old. They are now 5 months old and cannot be separated. My mom said we can't keep Rufus because of fertilized eggs, but noise is not a problem. Are fertilized eggs okay to eat until the baby chicken develops, how long is an egg okay to eat until an embryo develops. And if that does not work, does anybody have any idea where I can take both of them and them get treated fairly and stay together? Please help me.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I can't understand why a fertilized egg is a problem to eat.
    The embryo will never develop unless it is incubated. It has to remain above 80 degrees for some time for cell division to begin.
    No one can possibly discern the difference between a fertile and infertile egg for eating purposes.
    All of my flocks have a rooster with them and we sell extra eggs.
    I have to use glasses and a magnifying glass to determine if an egg is fertilized and sometimes I can't tell. It is the difference of a few cells.

3. outlander

outlander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Belton, KY
    X2

A fertilized egg has the POTENTIAL to become an embryo, but will not do so unless it is incubated by you or your hen. They are perfectly fine to eat.

4. beatriceanrufus

Jul 20, 2013
    So I have nothing to worry about I I keep the eggs in the refrigerator? This is my first time raising chickens. I am not sure if I am supposed to refrigerate the eggs or not, is it okay to refrigerate?

5. beatriceanrufus

Jul 20, 2013

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can refrigerate the eggs, and you will have nothing to worry about if you do so. Also, make sure you're collecting the eggs daily so your hen doesn't sit on them for any length of time, just to reassure your mom that no development has started. Enjoy your chickens!

1 person likes this.
  7. outlander

outlander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Belton, KY
    You can refrigerate them if it makes you (and your mom) more comfortable. Many of us leave them at room temperature, which is NOT sufficiently warm enough to trigger embryonic development. Good luck, enjoy your eggs!!

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Exactly! I have drakes here and it's not an issue.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since the rooster is starting to mate, you might want to look into getting a few more hens to spread the love, so to speak. One hen can get pretty worn down from all the attention of a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by