Rooster in Nest Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jharper, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    [​IMG]
    Found my rooster in the nest box, and he started clucking calling the girls over and one hopped in there. I was just wondering what was he doing?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    is it cold around there? the box might seem warm to him. also he might be curious because he always sees his ladies in there.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He was saying, "Hey, look at this place. It would be a good safe place for you to start a clutch." Sort of the flockmaster version of preparing a baby's bedroom.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My rooster often checks out things to eat, then calls the hens over to eat it. He might have just been checking it out for her.

Chris

5. snowstar5

snowstar5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    please go to new posts and look for my name

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have a rooster (buff orp, so not a small fella at all), who routinely takes his girls to the nest boxes and carries on -- even singing the egg song. I dunno, maybe one of his "harem" isn't laying eggs and he is trying to entice her. Silly boy, looks really funny in that tiny nest box!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This on the mark. A hen coming into lay behaves differently making dominant rooster inclined to behave as yours did. Behavioral change in hen is at least partially a vocalization. Rooster is suggesting a location that is good for chick survival and that he knows about. With my free-ranging birds the rooster takes a role in brood care by distracting predators and knowing where nest is helps him with that.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Well my new EE pullet has not started laying yet, but it should be anyway now. Do you think this is why?

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Rooster's behavior is indicative of somebody getting ready to start laying.

10. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

don't worry mine does the same thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by