Rooster in nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bettymom, Jun 23, 2008.

1. bettymom

bettymom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    I am new to raising chickens but am enjoying interacting with my hens and one rooster. My question is we just got a new rooster who is supposed to be about 15 months old. I find him in the laying boxes with the hens. Sometimes he is in there alone. Is this normal?
    Thanks

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have silkies and my rooster does it often, especially in the evening. Someone with more experience will come along. I definately don't see any reason to be concerned though.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My roo gets in the box and fluffs up the shavings, he may sit in there with them, he bokboks like a cheerleader when they do. Not unusual with a good roo.

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Totally normal, especially with young roos. They're making sure everything is ship-shape for their brides.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its normal, they inspect nesting areas to make sure all is well.

6. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    my rooster loves to have his girls around him - LOL

7. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw my 10-month old Barred Rock rooster doing this, and I came in to search it! He was up in the area of the nest where they lay, fluffing up the straw, bock-bock-bock, then he left and went back his day! So sweet.

8. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    Awww, talking about cute things roos do makes us that aren't allowed to have one jealous.

9. Dara77

Dara77 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    I Agree!! [​IMG] Wish I could have one too! I think they are so pretty and neat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by