Rooster in nesting box? why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oliviad51, Aug 16, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sometimes I will see one of my roosters in a nesting box in the middle of a day...Its just strange to me. Why would he be in there? Does anyone know?

Heres a pic of Eddie

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sometimes I think they get in there to encourage a certain hen who is trying to lay (I notice a hen in a box behind him) [​IMG]

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    good thought..I have noticed him in there a few times and was curious. Its just weird..do yours ever do that?

4. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    LOL I just posted the same thing----thanks for the quick answer!

Yes. All three Roosters were in the box today and they seemed to like it!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have one that looks just like yours do that too. For some reason it cracks me up. He looks so funny squashed in there. I don't know why he does it. He is not a particularly encouraging kind of guy so I think he goes in there for peace and quiet.

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol my banty roo dos this today i seen him sitting there throwing hay over his shoulder like a broody hen would while my polish chicken sat there and stared at him (i think i cant rly see her eyes)

7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    have one that looks just like yours do that too. For some reason it cracks me up. He looks so funny squashed in there. I don't know why he does it. He is not a particularly encouraging kind of guy so I think he goes in there for peace and quiet.

haha. yes it cracks me up. Its so funny..I guess its just not natural to see a huge rooster in a nesting box.​

8. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    idk - getting in touch with his feminine side?! - cute picture btw!

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Haha, possibly true

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I had a rooster that was such a sweet boy. He got in the boxes with the gals and would sing to them. We have one that I swear takes over an hour to lay. She cannot seem to find just the right spot. He died recently so its taking her a bit longer now. Roosters can be such sweet fellows though. They will sing to them, and encourage them when they are trying to lay. They can be very patient. I watched mine for a good 30 min trying to coax his gal into laying so she could come outside. He was in that nest box right beside her singing the egg song like a little fool. I bet you the neighbors a mile away could hear him too. Wow could he sing loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by