rooster in the dog house...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by v.cyr, Jun 21, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    kinda funny... we separated our BR x BO roo, Big Boy, and our black giant hen, Aretha for breeding, and for most of the first two days they were together, he must have ticked her off, because she would not let him into the coop... he spent most of the time looking through the pophole, making a pitiful drawn out cluck sound, and whenever he tried poking his head in we heard the loud thuds as Aretha thumped him and chased him back out... Big Boy is not a fighter, he would usually let Mick, our aussie roo, just bounce off him when he tried to pick a fight( Mick eventually gives up)... but Aretha is the only one who weighs as much as Big Boy, so when she thumps him, he notices, and really doesn't know what to do... the are getting along fine now, but for a while there, I wasn't sure...

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    LOL thats funny, but the hens wear the pants in the family here too, the roos are allowed to do what the hens allow them to do most of the time.

3. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    the funny thing is, Aretha was low on the pecking order... not the bottom, but defiantly not at the top... and Big Boy sort of made his own place next to the top, by dint of being the biggest and having no interest in squabbling rank... he would do what he wanted and if either Mick or one of the dominant hens ever had a problem with it, he would just ignore them until they gave up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by