1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rooster in the henhouse?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MickeysChicks, Jul 23, 2014.

1. MickeysChicks

MickeysChicks Songster

Jul 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I could really use some more expert eyes! I have 7 reds and 7 whites. Fairly certain the whites are old fashioned leghorns. Fairly certain the reds are Rhode Islands. They were all purchased as pullet chicks, they are approx. 16 weeks old. In the last 2 weeks we have heard strange voicings coming from the coop. Sounds like at least two of them have deeper voices and they are alot more vocal! But with 14 of them and being new to this hobby , I'm not sure what I'm looking for! I do have 3 suspects, based on the rearend feathers seem to be developing a little different than the others and the feathers around the neck look a little different. The two reds that I'm suspicious of are also very bossy, and I've seen them a couple of times fussing at each other with the neck feathers all ruffled out...hmmmmm......I must admit I wouldn't mind if one of them is a roo ( I'm a South Carolina Gamecock fan, the neighbor is a Clemson Tiger fan..hehehe...)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Heres the best picture I could get of my three suspects, the two reds the tailfeathers are growing in curled down and the one on the far left has one longer curly tailfeather sticking out. The white ones tailfeathers are upright and fanned out, the other white ones tailfeathers are not fanned out. The rest of the pics are misc. coop pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jaymeellis06

jaymeellis06 Chirping

Jun 25, 2014
    Florahome, Florida
    Those do not look like RIR but Red Sex link pullets. I have two that are the same age as yours and they look just like mine.

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    You don't have to worry about your reds, they look like golden comets. So the females are red and the males are white.

The white you think is looking like a rooster looks like a pullet to me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Agree with the red sex link pullets. If they all look like the pics your showing than it's not one if them. Put pics up of the white ones and you'll probably find the culprits. :cd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: