Rooster in urgent need of help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Just back from a 5 day holiday whilst a neighbour was looking after our 12 chickens and my sultan rooster is in very bad condition! Crook neck, and it looked like half his face was missing.

After a wash, his face is intact, but he's lost feathers and his skin is very scabby. He also has white frothy stuff in the one eye.

I have no idea what has gone on or what to do. Will it just heal on its own? See pics below.

UPDATE

Google suggests the white froth is an infection.

Neighbour has been round to advise that was attacked by one of the other roos (2 of the 3 chicks we hatched earlier this year were roos, and we haven't' found homes for them yet).

Bad timing for them to start fighting when we're away, as hadn't seen any aggression beforehand.

As soon as we put him out again today, he was attacked almost immediately, so now segregated.

Looks like two roos will have to go asap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lots of post here on how to treat injuries. Actually it's the same as any injury you would receive in this condition. Use a soft cloth to blot the area with warm water to see what the damage is (already did that). Apply neosporin gently and sparingly. Don't use any first aid cream that has any pain killer like lidocaine or benzocaine. Anything with an aine at the end of the word.

Keep him separated and give him treats so he eats well and make sure he has water. Chickens are very good at healing themselves.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd keep him inside where it's warm, thoroughly clean wounds with betadine, weigh daily on kitchen scale.

-Kathy

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be careful getting betadine or other cleaning solutions like hibiclens or other good ones into the eye. You can, however put Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment into the eye as well as on the wounds daily. The de-feathered skin may get leathery and slough off after a week or two, but then new skin will grow and hopefully, feathers will come back in. Good luck on his recovery.

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thank you very much for the help!

We're keeping him at at night until he's fully recovered, and we've worked out what to do with the other 2 roos :-(

He's been drinking lots of water, and has just had scrambled egg for tea!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    It is always a good idea to flush wounds with, if nothing else, sterile saline solution (one teaspoon of table salt dissolved in 2 cups of water and brought to a boil) - can store in a boiled ball jar (cover with a boiled cup saucer if that's what's handy). We use one part betadine to 10 parts sterile water in an old glass spray top bottle (whole thing can be boiled). As another member mentioned, use topical antibiotic ointment sparingly - there are antibiotic eye ointments available -check around (maybe First State Vet Supply carries it) for antibiotic eye ointment - we have a couple of tubes of the Tetracycline eye ointment - easier to spread thinly, in socket - but I don't know if this is still available, everywhere, OTC. The problem with full strength betadine is that it will dry out tissue that would otherwise heal. Flushing contaminated material from, and debridement of, wounds prior to applying any ointment is a good idea.

Our turkey jakes/toms have often developed `frothy eye' following prolonged sparring matches. This has cleared right up, over the course of 5 days, rinsing with enough sterile saline, daily, to wash away frothy goop from margins of eyes.

7. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    his eye has now completely scabbed over. should i remove it or will it just remove its self?

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would be hesitant to intentionally remove the scab. Scabs form to protect from contaminants and blood loss,when removed you may also remove healing tissue. If you suspect there is an infection under the scab,then yes gently remove it and treat infection.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most scabs will fall off on their own, but I would keep it moist with antibiotic ointment.

10. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    ok, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by