rooster increase egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by destorieswind, Dec 15, 2008.

1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    will a rooster in a flock increase egg production?

and are the fertilized eggs are safe to eat as long as they are refrigerated?

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Don't you already have a bunch of roosters?

Hens will lay eggs whether there are roosters or not, some say they'll lay more, but I don't think so. Battery hens lay an egg a day, and they don't have roos.

Of course you can eat fertile eggs. No problem at all. As long as they haven't been incubated, the embryo won't develop. As far as eating qualities go, there's no difference in the taste at all.

Look at the sticky about fertilized eggs at the top of this section, to learn more about this, and see photos of yolks of fertile and non-fertile eggs.

3. Mortimer

Mortimer Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    I agree with dancingbear, I don't think adding roos increases egg production, it just means you get fertile eggs, which you can incubate to make your own chickens!

There are other advantages of having a rooster though. Roos are very protective of their harem, warning and protecting them of predators that come near. Mine will call out to the hens when a hawk flies over and they'll duck for cover. This is particularly advantageous if your chickens free range.

We were a bit worried about our cat around the hens -- but the cat learned pretty quick the roosters are *NOT* to be messed with. A grown rooster will scare off just about any cat and even some smaller dogs.

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I don't think you'll increase production with a rooster,If anything they decrease production because of all the stress they put on their hens.
    They are needed for fertile eggs and protection of your flock if you are looking for that.
    Yes,the eggs are safe to eat.You'd never know the difference. Will

5. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    A rooster won't make them lay less. I would think the protection he provides would out weigh the stress of mating.

[​IMG]

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:I'm going to agree with Will on this one but it all depends on the circumstances & the "players."

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by