Rooster infected toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Red Frog, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Red Frog

Red Frog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi guys, quick question about a poster's foot. Looks like a toe ripped out or got infected. We've soaked the foot in Epsom salt solution, hit it with Vetricin, kept the foot dry, pine bedding, separated from the rest of the flock, and administered antibiotics (all done in the last 24hrs). It looks like he's got a infection going up the leg. Any other thoughts? I put pics below.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you live where it is cold in winter? It looks a little like he got some frostbite on that toe and foot, and the tip of a toe on the other foot as well. Swelling above the frostbite line is common. Does he have redness going up both legs? If it is not frostbite, staph infections can also be common. If it is on both legs it could be normal redness due to his hormones. If it is just the one leg, then I would get some strong antibiotics from a vet if possible. Procaine Penicillin G is about the best antibiotic for wounds from a feed store, but it is injections to the breast muscle daily for 4 days. Dosage is 1/4 cc with a 20 gauge needle inserted 1/4 inch deep.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. Red Frog

Sep 16, 2014
    We do live in the northeast, but he didn't start limping until a few days ago. He does fight a lot with the other roosters, as we have a few. Also likes trying to attack us. Guessing the nail broke off that way, then got infected. Hard to tell in the picture, but the foot pad is quite swollen. He also does have a slight red stripe on the other leg, but not quite as dark. We have him on duramycin 10. Will that be strong enough or should we be doing something else?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frostbite sometimes isn't noticeable on roosters unless you are close enough to examine their feet. It can take a month or two for a toe to drop off, and the telltale sign is thickened pale skin just above the dead toe or toenail like what he has on the black toenail on the other foot. If I were you, I would take him to a vet for some stronger antibiotics. Duramycin10 is for treatment of respiratory diseases mostly. Procaine Penicillin G injectable is about the only antibiotic that might treat a staphylococcal infection in the foot. Dosage is 1/4 ml given 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle once a day for 4 days. But a stronger broad spectrum antibiotic would be much better.

5. Red Frog

Sep 16, 2014
    Thanks, I'll give the vet a call. We do have a farm store just up the road that has
    Pen G, so maybe we'll try that depending.

6. Red Frog

Sep 16, 2014
    So I guess just because you live in the country does not mean the vet actually knows anything about chickens. That's being said, we went ahead and got the pen g-it's the 300,000 units per ml (same as you get from tractor supply.) Do we still give 1/4 ml? And where exactly do you inject in the breast? Just anywhere? Or in a specific area?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes that is the right medicine. Give it 1/4 inch deep in the fullest part of the breast muscle on either breast, and alternate sides daily.

8. Red Frog

Sep 16, 2014
    Seems we're back to square one. Our rooster got better for the most part over the summer, but in the last couple days we've noticed he's limping badly again in that same foot, it's really swollen and warm to the touch. The pad is squishy to the touch too. Pictures below. He's eating and drinking, hobbling along. Any ideas?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7606599/width/200/height/400[/IMG

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7606602/width/200/height/400

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by