Rooster Info Needed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i have been trying to hatch baby chicks for some time now and i have been borrowing fertilized eggs from a friend and they never hatch out from my broody hens. I have 8 hens currently and i'd like to get a rooster for him to breed them and have baby chicks hatch. can i get a rooster at this point in life??? they are 1 year old now?? if i can get a rooster should i get one smaller than the hens or bigger??? the hens are black star hens and ive read places where they cant be bred again or is that just black star with black star?? thanks for the replys

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Black Star hens can be bred, no problem. It's just that the chicks will be mutts (but nothing wrong with that if you ask me!).

If it were me, I'd pick a good-tempered dual-purpose breed rooster, 6 months - 2 years old. [​IMG]

If you like broodiness you might want to get a Buff Orpington rooster. The girls will be good layers and good broodies and the boys will grow out really well for butchering.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get a buff Orpington rooster like 1 year old. Will the hens pick on him or will he pick on them????

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The hens should recognize him as a flock rooster, and he should recognize them as his new harem. They should be fine, but there may be some picking the first few days. But make sure you get a good rooster. Some roosters can be really mean to the hens (but these are usually culled to the stew pot when they're young). Buff Orpingtons usually make great roosters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by