rooster injured and bloody

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksahoy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    two of my roosters fought while i was at the store, one is bleeding profusely from his comb, how do i stop the bleeding and clean him up? he is also acting very sluggish and sick like.i think i need to seperate him until he heals, is that right? or should i just put him down?i dont want to because he was a grand champ show rooster, please help me.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Yes, I would seperate him from the others. Others may see the blood and pick more. It can be tough having more than one roo, especailly if you dont have enough females. If you can stop the bleeding by holdind something on it that would be good. I would also treat the area with neosporin or something to prevent the open wound from being infected. Best wishes to you.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Wrap him in a towel so he won't squirm and then clean the comb with a betadine wash or just water if you don't have any betadine and then apply pressure till it stops. Isolate him so they don't continue fighting. He should be o.k. if it's just his comb. I had a roo whose comb was also bleeding profusely from many spots and it healed just fine on its own.

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The B's and I will be pulling for him!

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Yopu can also use coen starch or flour to help stop the bleeding.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had this problem with just 2 roosters who have almost 40 hens between them. And a badly bleeding comb can be a challenge. Never had any luck with flour/cornstarch/sugar. Pinch it off and while it's pinched off, apply regular super glue to the wound and hold on the pressure till it hardens a bit. That's what I've had to resort to on occasion.

7. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    ok hes in my tub right now, i cleaned him off, but hes still acting weird, he just lays down, and shuts his eyes, wont even look at water or food, do you think he just needs to sleep for a while?

8. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Quite possibly stress and after the adrenaline is gone you get tired hope hes okay just let him chill out for awhile

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    tired and shocked most likely..

Check his neck for blood clot later on, this sometimes happens in a cock fight ...

10. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    Not to mention the fact that his pride is wounded from being knocked down a notch. My favorite Black Minorca Roo got the poo
    beat out of him a couple of weeks ago by an Americauna half his age! He took a couple of days to recouperate and get back to his old self, but he isn't the first one out of the coop in the a.m. anymore, the young roo comes out first. What got me was the Americauna does not even have his spurs yet, but he did lots of damge to the Minorca's comb, and jowls with his beak, I guess.
    I cleaned him up and sprayed his comb with the blu-kote, that seemed to stop the bleeding. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by