Rooster injured badly,

BantamUsername

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
My rooster has escaped twice from my property, the first time he escaped we found him inside the neighbors yard with the neighbor’s chicken, although this time I found him in a ditch besides the road nearby my house, when I found him he was limping (and still is) currently The rooster is not able to walk correctly (as just hops with one leg while trying making sure his other leg doesn’t touch the ground) I have checked his leg and see no cuts or anything swollen, the rooster keeps trying to walk despite him Limping. Sometimes he will lay down for a few moments. I don’t know what I can do to cure him. Pls help

Photos of chicken(will provide more if needed)
2E9522C4-4E92-43C1-9317-EAD80EB7304D.jpeg
0481807F-B45D-4D72-B782-F35105621851.jpeg

Attachments

• 8CE4F864-425A-482E-9200-726D9B98AD5A.jpeg
    8CE4F864-425A-482E-9200-726D9B98AD5A.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1F41786D-12A1-4795-88B7-5C7E7DFACF1C.jpeg
    1F41786D-12A1-4795-88B7-5C7E7DFACF1C.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 1
I had a chicken with a broken leg. It was broken high on the thigh. It was clearly broken due to the angle it was jutting out at. I tried to splint it but it was too high up and wouldn’t hold. I did succeed in getting it more into the correct anatomical position though in my attempts to splint. She could not walk or bear any weight. I confined the chicken to a small cage so she could access food and water while I worked up the courage to kill her. Within two days she was bearing weight on the good leg pretty well for extended periods. Within two weeks she was walking slowly on it with a pronounced limp. After s month she went back into the flock. Now 4 months later, She ambulates completely normally. Chickens amaze me at how they heal.

My rooster has escaped twice from my property, the first time he escaped we found him inside the neighbors yard with the neighbor’s chicken, although this time I found him in a ditch besides the road nearby my house, when I found him he was limping (and still is) currently The rooster is not able to walk correctly (as just hops with one leg while trying making sure his other leg doesn’t touch the ground) I have checked his leg and see no cuts or anything swollen, the rooster keeps trying to walk despite him Limping. Sometimes he will lay down for a few moments. I don’t know what I can do to cure him. Pls help
Is vet care an option for you?

Good suggestions/guesses from the others - hard to know if it's sprained, fractured, dislocated, etc.
It does look like he's holding it inward, but that still doesn't tell us the "cause". An xray would be your best bet - splinting may be helpful, but you will still need to know the "location" of injury in order to do that. If it's dislocated at the hip, a sling may be uncomfortable - again, it all depends on the cause.

Is vet care an option for you?

Good suggestions/guesses from the others - hard to know if it's sprained, fractured, dislocated, etc.
It does look like he's holding it inward, but that still doesn't tell us the "cause". An xray would be your best bet - splinting may be helpful, but you will still need to know the "location" of injury in order to do that. If it's dislocated at the hip, a sling may be uncomfortable - again, it all depends on the cause.
There are no vets that are able to work on chickens in my Area, as of now vet care isn’t an option for me

Last edited:
As of now I’ve checked the skin behind his injured leg and found it to be extremely red(along with his rear skin) could it be that mites are causing this? (All the skin below his feathers are extremely red) and he keeps gromming himself constantly

Back
Top Bottom