Rooster injuring hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TariOronar, Apr 3, 2011.

1. TariOronar

TariOronar Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    We have 5 australorps, 4 hens and a rooster. Our rooster is starting to actually hurt out hens. All of them look like the following pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She has a bald spot on one wing...The one of her neck is blurry (sorry!) but the shiny spot is completely bald. Is there anything we can do for them besides separating the rooster?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He may not have enough hens; the usual ratio is more like one to ten hens, although plenty of people keep "breeding sets" of one roo to two or three hens without a problem. That is an awful lot of damage, though. I'd expect wear and tear on their back feathers, but not that much damage to the necks. Personally, I would not keep the roo as I won't have one that I feel mates too roughly. There is a difference between hanging on to neck feathers, which is part of mating, and tearing them out. JMO.

3. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    agreed with dawn

also if you want to keep him file down his nails, trim his spurs and get chicken saddles or give him his own pen and run like i did for my 3 boys

4. nsanywhere

nsanywhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Looks pretty normal to me, for this time of year especially. I have a few "favorites" who are in pretty rough shape, but they are eating, vibrant, and put up a good squawk when they've had enough.

My rule is if I don't see blood, I don't worry.

However, if you feel its a problem, you can check out hen savers http://www.hensaver.com/ or separate the rooster from the hens for some time.

Good luck!

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    You have several options...make or buy chicken saddles, get rid of the roo, or confine the roo to another pen, separate from the hens. I made chicken saddles that I found a pattern for on this website (no sew chicken saddles) and made them out of a double layer of a an old knit shirt. Worked great. One hen was just torn up from the roo, but another one looked like something else got a hold of her and made a heck of a hole in her back/side. I kept them both covered with the saddles until they healed up. I also got rid of my roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by