Rooster injuring hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lorettachick, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    I think one of my roosters is injuring my hens possibly while mating? I came home from work last night to my second hen this week with her back feathers missing and sores on her back. She was standing in the nesting box like she was in shock. The first one has a hole in her back and I think her leg may be broke. My son loves this rooster so I don't know what to do? Is this abnormal behavior? Is it the time of year? We have 6 hens and 4 roosters in one flock. We have had them less than a year but they have all gotten along well until now. Any advice??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A plain and easy answer that I am afraid you will not like. Get rid of three of the roosters, and separate out the rooster that you want to keep until the hens heal. Four roosters gangbreeding hens is a recipe for disaster. I am sorry if that comes across as harsh, but it is unrealistic to keep so many roosters with so few hens.

3. Lorettachick

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    Well one is a silkie roo, one is a bantam roo, and two are RIRs. I think its the two RIRs who are in competition. Do you think it would help if we get rid of one RIR and separate the bully for a while?

4. Lorettachick

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    Oh and whats the best way to catch a rooster? I'm scared. :)

5. Flock Me

Flock Me Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Wayne, Maine
    I feel your pain! I have been through this with three unruly Roos. I made a circle of chicken wire about three feet across and three feet tall and covered with more wire. Just walk up to him and drop it on him and carefully reach under and grab his legs. He might struggle for a second but settle down quickly. Hope this helps!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breed are the hens?

If they're that injured, you need to seperate them from any rooster until they're healed. Even that silkie will mate them, and folks that think a bantam can't mate a full size hen totally underestimate the hormones!

You may be able to keep one of the Red roosters with the hens, but I'd still seperate the other roosters. Make a bachelor pad for the boys and they usually get along fine.

To catch a chicken, I go out at night when they're roosting. They're sleep-stupid and you can pick them right up. If it's a roo with good spurs, I usually wrap them in a towel, cause I have high self protective instincts and don't want to get hurt!

7. Lorettachick

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    1 Silkie hen, 3 RIRs, and 2 Black Australorps. The first one attacked was an Australorp. I think her leg may be broken. :( Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try to the towel method. Both RIR Roos are huge beautiful roosters.

8. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    got to agree with don catch them while theyre sleeping its the easiest and safest way in my opinion or if you plan on having chickens for a while invest in a long metal catcher when i first started i just used a wire clothes hanger and bent it on the end to catch a leg but as for keeping the roosters and no more injuries like others have said seclude the other roos in a pen and only leave one out to be with your girls four roos is way too many for six hens also look into saddles for your hens i bought some on ebay cheap and works great untill those feathers come back saved plenty of my buffs "they dont really like the saddles for a day or two but theyll get used to them"

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Also, if you're considering keeping one of those RIR boys, you may want to consider rehoming your Silkie hen. A rooster that large mounting a hen that small is another recipe for disaster (and can result in the death of the little Silkie girl). Another option would be to pen the 2 Silkies in their own coop...
    Nikki

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    An Aussie hen is normally fine to mate with a Rhode Island Red rooster without problems. I'd worry about the silkie and those big boys. As stated, the two silkies may be fine in a pen by themselves. Depending on the bantam roo, you might be okay with him and one of the Red roosters in with the hens, but that's still a lot of roo.

Then again, you could always get more hens, not that I'm a chicken enabler or anything..........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by