Rooster injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keithfelts, Jan 19, 2017.

1. keithfelts

keithfelts New Egg

May 11, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I couldn't get a great picture but.....I had weaselgeddon that killed my hens. The roo survived but has since developed since developed a large swelling where his right "ear" feathers are. Any suggestions for treatment?
    I'm considering lancing the swelling?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about the weasel attack. Use 1/2 inch hardware cloth to secure your coop doors and windows, since weasels can get in 1 inch chickenwire. In addition to the slightly frostbitten comb which should heal up in a few weeks, he looks to have an ear infection. Get some tweezers, QTips, hydrogen peroxide, and some plain Neosporin or bacitracin ointment, and another pair of hands. They are easier to handle off the roost after dark, but anytime you can catch him would be good. Try to clean the gunk out of his ear with the tweezers and QTips. Flush out the ear canal with 1/2 strength peroxide, and dig a little more. Then fill the ear canal with the ointment. If you have a regular vet who would prescribe some amoxicillin or clavamox, that would help. Sulfa drugs also work, but he may not require the antibiotics once it is cleaned.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. keithfelts

keithfelts New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try

4. keithfelts

keithfelts New Egg

May 11, 2016
    I have to own up. The attack was result of owner error not equipment. I failed to close up one night and they had free entry. Live and learn

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can happen, but we learn from our mistakes. Other predators can bite off the heads as well as weasels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by