Rooster Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mattsanity, Dec 10, 2014.

1. mattsanity

mattsanity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Central NH
    My rooster went to bed last night with a perfectly intact comb and it looked like this when I let him out this morning:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry they're not the best pics... he's not the snugliest rooster - at least with me - so he's not really wanting to be handled today and I can blame him. Does that look like he got pecked and it's dried blood/scab? It's really dark black and I don't see an obvious wound. Or could he have just been pooped on ?(he does tend to gravitate towards roosting on the poop board for some reason at times) Sorry if I'm overreacting. He's still acting like himself and eating and everything. Apparently being a worrier in life translates to me over worrying about the chickens too.[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pecking/scraping injury to me. If you can catch him and hold him for a little bit, rubbing some antibiotic ointment (without any caine or cain ingredients) on the injury will help it heal, If not, then it should still heal fine on its own.

3. mattsanity

mattsanity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Central NH
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll have my wife help me with that evening. Suzy (can you tell I'm new to this... I thought he was a leggy hen when he was a chick) is more of a mama's boy and ought to be more amenable to the idea of her holding him whilst we apply some treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by