Rooster intergration time period

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihatechickens, May 6, 2011.

1. ihatechickens

ihatechickens New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Hi all just signed up
    I picked up a roo for my 12 barred rocks he is a buff orph bantee rir mix he was chased around a bit and then got to mount a few hens but dose not much else a couple crows and all im wondering how long to leave him in the pen till i let them all range being i hope he will do his job and keep an eye out. So far he seems useless but it has only been a day. I was hoping he put some of my hens in line asap being they are guarding the nest. And coop from each other and thought the roo wont put beak to ass and keep them in line ....alas.... nada so any info or comments would be nice FYI they are all around A year old

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome. I'd probably let him go where the hens go since they already know where home is and he will hang around them. As for the behavior I'd give him some more time to establish his relationship with his girls. Every roo is different, just as every flock is. You'll just have to wait and see how they work it all out. Sorry you got missed yesterday. This is a fast moving board, so sometimes it happens. At some point people look over the unanswered posts.

3. ihatechickens

ihatechickens New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    The main reason i got the roo was to stop this nest guarding by the hens. The guard or guards wont let the others lay while they lay nothing at all.
    Its really messing with the laying schedule they just stand in the coop all day and chase the others out and whine constantly at the same time. I take them away the others lay, and if they are away to long, other hens or hen step in and do the same. As of today im locking them all out of the coop for a while to see if that helps but i doubt it will. They are going to start free range tommorw, could that help?
    Im about to start eating chickens instead of eggs if this goes on much longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by