Rooster is a JERK!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FirstChickens, Dec 20, 2014.

1. FirstChickens

FirstChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Chuckey, TN
    My birds are just over two months old now. They are getting big, I had two (maybe three) roosters in the coop. I gave one away and waiting to see if the other one that I think is a rooster turns out to be one.

The one that I know is a rooster is a prick! Just all around doesn't like me, he doesn't jump and try to attack. But does bite a lot when I am hand feeding the hens. He comes in and just bites my arm or fingers or what ever he can, could care less about he food that I am giving the flock.

Yesterday, he got me good! Didn't brake the skin, but man did it hurt a bite. Latched on like a PitBull playing with a rope. I popped him in his head to get him to back off so I could feed the hens.

Getting rid of him is not an option, I want the Roo for flock protection.

Rant over, thanks.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior
    I found this link a very good read on roo behaviour. He's obviously having those teenage troubles and it's something you could really do with being nipped in the bud now before he gets any bigger.

Hope you find the article usefull and best of luck to you with him in the future :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by