Rooster is aggressive to only one hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nrobbins1734, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Nrobbins1734

Nrobbins1734 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    My Rooster is very nice to me and most of my other chickens, but he is very aggressive to one of my hens. This hen has a wound on her neck from this rooster. Is there anything that I can do to get the rooster to stop? And is there anything I can put on the wound to help it heal? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Short of removing either the hen or rooster from the flock, there (in my experience) is little that you can do. Roosters can be weird and once they dislike a hen she is in trouble. You can treat the neck wound with an anti bacterial ointment. Keep an eye on him to make sure that he does not take out his frustrations on another hen.

3. Nrobbins1734

Sep 7, 2013
    Ok thanks for the input!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I once had a rooster that stalked 2 specific hens. They were free range, and there were over a dozen other hens for him to choose from, but he consistently went for those 2 hens. He'd try to mate them, and when they resisted he'd just attack them. I tried separating them, confining him, confining them, getting more hens, pretty much everything I could think of. He just wouldn't leave them alone--I'm talking they would spend their days hiding under the porch with him standing on top of it, waiting for them to come out. For hours at a time--I had no idea chickens had such an attention span.

I eventually butchered him, couldn't figure out what else to do. He was fine with humans and the other hens, just psychotic about those two specific girls.

5. Nrobbins1734

Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to watch them for a few days because the hen just started laying about a week ago so maybe the rooster will stop and if not I'll have to get rid of him.

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not taking sides but if he is a good rooster otherwise you might try re-homing the hen. You can always find someone to buy/adopt a hen but roosters are hard to re-home and I find the evil ones taste better [​IMG] It is also harder to find a people and hen friendly replacement rooster.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by