Rooster is an OG since baby chicks hatched

Reggan

Songster
May 19, 2020
Wisconsin
Hi All,

Just a quick question... we have 2 mamas with chicks about a week apart. Chicks are almost 2 weeks and a bit over 3 weeks. Anyway Big Boy is a very well mannered boy 99%. He's a very large Buff Brahma.

Since these babies hatched and the hens are free ranging them he has lost his s***. I can be in the coop with everyone and he's fine, it's only if mama and chicks are out of the coop... then he is coming at me like a freight train. I can handle him fine so far.

Question: Those of you with good roos who have been very protective of their baby chicks... Will he calm down as they get a bit older?

He is amazing with the chicks and w/the two mamas when they squabble. Again he's fine with me in the coop, but the minute they walk out into a run or free range he's nuts!

He's 1 year old and on 17 hens plus the chicks. My flock free ranges a couple acres, but mostly stick close to home. They are not cooped up very often. I never have had much infighting or issues even over the winter. Most all are brahmas and 2 buckeyes.

I've had some be protective and 'nurturing' of chicks, some that pay no attention, once he was not cool with either broody or chicks(took awhile to work that out).

Any male that comes at me without direct provocation,(me picking up a bird) would be a goner.

Back
Top Bottom