Rooster is attacking his brother who just recovered.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by expaxtonite, Nov 11, 2015.

1. expaxtonite

expaxtonite New Egg

Sep 5, 2015
    MyBrahma rooster got sick and thanks to this sight I have him feeling a lot better. So, a few days ago I wanted him to get some fresh air and exercise so I let him out of his make shift hospital and soon as I did his brother, our other rooster attacked him. So back to the hospital for Noodle. They are both only 10 months old and have been raised in the same coop. Today,since he's eating well and talkative I opened the crate to let him out, he never came oit, so I relocated the crate. Shortly after I heard a bunch of cackling, I just thought Bevo was after the girls, but no he was at the crate attempting to attack Noodle. What can I do? These sweet babies are my granddaughter's pets, I can't continue to keep Noodle pinned and no way I can get rid of either. Help please!!!

2. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    How many ladies are they with?

3. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    Sounds like my 2 roos. I am always intervening. Mine free range with 12 mature hens and 2 pullets.

4. expaxtonite

expaxtonite New Egg

Sep 5, 2015

5. expaxtonite

expaxtonite New Egg

Sep 5, 2015
    we have 2 hens and 2 hen babies right now BUT all the others are the same age and have been together since they were hatched.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How long were they separated?

This behavior isn't unusual. A bird that has been separated from the flock often isn't recognized as a flock member when it returns. Both sexes will attack birds they consider strangers, even if they had once been in the same flock and fine with each other.

You can continue to try to reintroduce the second cockerel by initially keeping him in an enclosure so they can see each other but not harm one another. Once they are in the same space they are likely to spar though to reestablish pecking order. You will have to see how far that goes. The one currently with the flock may be satisfied with just putting the sick one in his place, or he may only be happy with eliminating him. If it comes to that unfortunately you only have 2 choices - rehome one or keep 2 separate flocks.

2 people like this.
  7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I had two cockerels that were 3.5 months old from the same hatch and they had a real ding-dong one day which left one with fatal injuries and the other in the crockpot!

8. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    The ratio should be 1 rooster for every 12 hens.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although you do not have enough hens for 2 roosters, that is not the problem here. Keesmom has nailed the problem and suggested the most probable outcome.

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yes agree, it happens with hens as well when absent for a while. Have experienced it with a sick hen when we put her back after 3 days and a broody hen after sitting on eggs for three weeks. Unfortunately the roosters can take it to a whole new level than the hens normally do. (Though they can get pretty brutal sometimes too). You may need to explain to your daughter that it's the best thing for one rooster to be rehomed as the alternative might just be her finding it dead.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by