Rooster is beating up my hens!

AKChickenGal

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2016
Southeast Alaska
I currently have three roosters, which will be narrowed down to two tomorrow. I mostly have smaller breeds like campines, hamburgs, and a leghorn so I am keeping the smaller roosters as well. I have one naked neck hen that is getting her neck torn up by my Blue Andalusian rooster. Is this normal or is it unusually aggressive behavior for a rooster? The neck wounds are new since yesterday and I am worried the other hens will pick at her scabs or she will get more serious wounds from the rooster. They are all 17 weeks old and not laying yet. The other hens get their necks grabbed too, but they have feathers for protection. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
With Naked Necks, these kinds of wounds are pretty common, even for a docile rooster. As long as it's not severe tearing, I'd say that it's just a side effect of her being... well, naked. You could apply some Neosporin if you wanted, but if the cuts are minor and the birds aren't acting stressed, I wouldn't be worried.

With Naked Necks, these kinds of wounds are pretty common, even for a docile rooster. As long as it's not severe tearing, I'd say that it's just a side effect of her being... well, naked. You could apply some Neosporin if you wanted, but if the cuts are minor and the birds aren't acting stressed, I wouldn't be worried.

She doesn't seem stressed so far, so I will keep an eye and her and she will probably be fine. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom