1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster is bleeding....help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaineCkLvr, Jan 2, 2014.

1. MaineCkLvr

MaineCkLvr New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Hi Everyone, I am having a bleeding issue with my rooster. Got up this morning to feed them and there was blood every where. I assume from him shaking his head. I have brought him in out of the cold but having a challenge cleaning the area. He doesn't like to be held. Am I reading the comments of others correctly, this is probably due to the cold and I simply need to clean the area, possibly put either blue kote or neosporin on it and the healing process will start? I live in Maine and right now the 1/2 insulated hen house has two heating lamps and is around 18 f. He started to get frostbite and this is the first signs of blood. Should I be worried about anything else?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I would clean it and put neosporin or blue kote on the wound (I've used both) and when you go out to the coop in the evenings (when he's done healing) put vaseline on his combs and wattles to help prevent frostbite. That's what I do with my Leghorns and roosters when it's below freezing. Another problem for me is that they get water on their combs when they drink, and that contributes to them getting frostbite as well.

3. MaineCkLvr

MaineCkLvr New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Thank you. LRH97. I was pretty sure what to do but this is my first time owning chickens and I justed wanted to be sure I was dealing with this the right way. Did you notice a difference between the neosporin or blue kote? Do you have a preference with one over the other? I am thinking neosporin would work better but I'm thinking thats because I've used this vs. the blue kote.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    MaineCkLvr, how many roosters do you have.

I ask because frost bite is usually caused or defined as the absence of blood circulation, not the reason for a mini hemorrhage.

5. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    If I had to pick, I would use neosporin because I think it's just less "messy". I really haven't seen any major differences.

6. MaineCkLvr

MaineCkLvr New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    I have one rooster. What could cause a hemorrhage like that? I took him into the cellar and warmed him up a little. Got a look at the area but it was really hard to tell. It looks like his comb ripped away from his head. I put neosporin on him and put him back in the hen house. I will continue to monitor him today. It doesn't look like the temps are going to get much above 30 till Sunday. His comb is black on the very tips with some turning white, which is why frostbite came to mind but you're right about the blood flow. I didn't think about that. Thank you for pointing that out. On a side note, I tried the Blue Kote, never again! My figures are all blue, lol. Neosporin was a lot easier to apply.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes they can bleed a ton from a blood feather on the leg. Does he have feathered legs?

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    But I doubt that Neosporin will mask the color red of blood that makes chickens turn cannibalistic toward their coop mates, I've never used it on a chicken, just on my own scrapes and scratches. The "blood everywhere" remark sounded like a peck fight for dominance may have occurred. Your rooster definitely has frost bite.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. MaineCkLvr

MaineCkLvr New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    No feathers on his legs, I have 6 Rhode Island Reds

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by