Rooster is breeding young hens QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazyfeathers, Dec 2, 2013.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hi can someone tell me does a roo only breed a hen when the hen is ready or doesn't he care if she is ready or not. My Jaerhons are young 4 to 5 months old and are quite small but my De'uccle "Hannible" whom is about 8-9 months old has been breeding them, I don't know the correct terminology : mounting, fertilizing. My Jaerhons are not laying yet, should I be concerned? Thanks for any feedback. If anyone has Jaerhons I would love more info about my 5 girls, I could follow your profile. Ps I decorated my coop and run for Christmas am I a goof or what lol

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    roosters dont care, especially the younger ones unless he is pulling or pecking bad enough to hurt them he will settle down soon. my guess is that he is just practicing and not really getting anywhere. and i bought a christmas star for my coop today.[​IMG]

3. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hannible doesn't seem to be hurting any of the young hens. I guess I was hoping that Hannible knew something I didn't, like my girls were getting ready to lay, so sadly that is not the case.. thank you for your response..

4. Cpolanco3

Cpolanco3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    Maybe Hannibal is just thinking Heeeey, that's a cute chick right there. Let me get a piece of that before someone else does.

I don't know....mmmmmaybe? Do Roos do that? I'm new to chickenlovin', so I have no clue.

Claudia

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] i think its just the male population in general. i have a roo that drops his wing and dances around me. talk about concurring mt. Everest .lol

6. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    That is too funny, so he is wooing you. Better to woo you than spur you. Lol

7. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I'm new too, it isn't easy raising chickens I think it takes a lot of commitment, patience, protecting, love, doctoring, etc.....I wouldn't have it any other way I love my 28 girls and 2 roosters.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If I have a rooster that's mounting pullets that aren't at least showing some signs of getting close to laying I cull him. Don't need a Chester the Molester rooster. I've rarely run into that, though, I don't know if I just have good roosters or my guys always have enough mature hens to choose from. Does you roo have access to other hens? That may be a factor.

I've not had a pullet that wasn't at point of lay submit to mating, either. Young pullets often fight and scream some, but the too young girls took it to a whole new level. So if your girls are submitting, sounds to me like you've got eggs sometime soonish.

9. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I hope so. I will not cull Hannibal he is a fancy DeUccle. Separating him is a can do though he really is a great roo.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i wouldnt worry about it too much, he not gonna kill them. worst case, hen loses some feathers. i have never seen a young roo that didnt act like that. it doesnt take them long to settle down. i want to say about a month but thats a guess on my part because i dont remember exactly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by