Rooster is Clueless!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patchofheaven, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Patchofheaven

Patchofheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    Okay, this may sound a little gross, but my Big Red Rooster is missing the ladies. He does this little John Wayne walk, then he mounts them, (he is really fast) then he misses the target completely.

Is there anything we can do to help him out?

We are looking forward to having baby chicks one day, but we don't know if he is the right rooster for the job...

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

How old is he? Maybe he's not old enough to figure it out yet.

3. Patchofheaven

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    He is at least 10 months old. I meant to include a pic with the original post and just realized that I have not Uploaded to photobucket yet. Doing that right now...

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would think that's plenty old enough. Mine is 8 or 9 months old and seems to do the job. I dunno- anyone else have suggestions?

5. Patchofheaven

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    This is "Big Red" - this picture really does not do him justice, I probably should have taken one with the ladies around - he is at least twice the size of his ladies.
    [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Perhaps he's too big for them?

I have a bantam Rooster - funny as heck watching him trying to catch the standard girls............... [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Does he ever get them?

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

My bantam? Yes, but only if they allow it - otherwise he's running along next to them, hanging on to their neck feathers.... makes me [​IMG]

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My bantam? Yes, but only if they allow it - otherwise he's running along next to them, hanging on to their neck feathers.... makes me [​IMG]

That must be the reason my hens are lacking neck feathers since I turned "popcorn" loose with them.[​IMG]

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I'd rather have a clueless rooster, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by