Rooster is hurting Hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dornaz, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dornaz

dornaz New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Our rooster constantly hurts the chickens by biting their skin and hair out, please help us find a way to stop his bad behavior, please?!? Any training anything!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can pen him separately. If you have more than one rooster you can put them together if they get along OK.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There is really nothing you can do training wise. X2, separating him is the best idea if you want to keep him for fertilized eggs, just limit his time with the hens. If he is young, he may get better as he gets older, young hormonal roosters often don't have any manners. If he is older or continues to abuse the hens, you might want to consider replacing him (don't really want to breed on that behavior) or just not having a rooster if you don't need one.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. X2 on Kelsie2290's advice. How many hens do you have? The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. If you've got fewer than 10 hens, I would either get some more hens or else get rid of the rooster. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock, and my hens are stress free without all the aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, drop off in egg production, over-breeding and battering that typically goes along with having roosters, especially too many (or perhaps in your case, too few hens). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in solving your rooster problem.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with the advice already given.

Good luck!

6. MutzFarm

MutzFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people just end the problem by inviting the rooster to dinner. With so many good roosters looking for homes - there is no reason to keep a bad one.

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

You've been given some good advice already! Good luck with your rooster.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by