Rooster is limping

MTrisler

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2017
My two-year-old rooster is limping and doesn't want to put much weight on his left foot. I can see no injury or trauma to his foot or leg. There is not a vet locally who will treat chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help my sweet rooster? Is there anything I can give him for pain?

Ditto Coach!

If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

It's very possible that he has a sprain or strain, and it just needs time. You can do epsom salts soaks to help with pain and swelling. If he's really having a hard time then crating him in the run (so he's still with the flock) and restricting his movement for a day or two may help it rest. Heavier birds in particular can get foot or leg injuries jumping from roosts etc. so check to make sure yours aren't too high. Give it a day or two to see if he improves.

Back
Top Bottom