Rooster is nasty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brown egg 25, Jan 16, 2016.

1. brown egg 25

brown egg 25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    I have a rhode island red rooster who is very aggressive. First it was my wife he went after which isnt good but she can defend herself. Then my 2 year old daughter got scratched on her back by him while i was in thete with her. Finally past couple days hes been coming after me, I will put him in his place. We got these chickens as something to do as a family now my wife and daughter won't even go in the run and want nothing to do with them. I dont want to get rid of the rooster because he takes care of the flock hes stopped a hawk on more then one occasion and a cat believe it or not. Hes very tough which is good and bad i guess. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Invite him to dinner and replace him with a rooster with better manners. Seriously, there are too many nice boys in need of a home for you to put up with a mean one. If you decide to hatch chicks, he will pass that attitude on to his offspring.

3. brown egg 25

Jan 7, 2016
    Don't tell me that yes we planned to hatch chicks.Nothing else can be done?

4. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    It's pretty rare to get a roo to calm down once he turns out to be aggressive- it's hard-coded. RIR roos are known for having an issue with that, in particular, I believe. Might be best to give him away and not ask questions, and watch craigslist and such for a better mannered one to look after your girls.

5. ChickenHermit

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Just to clarify- by give away, I mean to someone who may likely eat him. You would be saving a nicer rooster from the same fate, so it kind of balances out.

6. brown egg 25

Jan 7, 2016
    Ok if anyone eats him it will be us. This is pur first flock didn't know roos could be nice.

7. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    Seriously- Mean rooster stew. with my first chickens I had a mean rooster just like that- Very good at keeping predators away and warning for hawks. He even messed up a stray dog pretty bad. I kept him to try and rehabilitate him. But his attitude never adjusted for more than a day or so before he was back to challenging the adults. Kids couldn't go near him at all. The next spring We butcher him after incubating a bunch of eggs. All the roosters we hatched we just as mean.

8. ChickenHermit

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Some roos can be really lovely! I've had good luck with barred rock and buff orphington roos myself- big enough to protect the girls, but typically well mannered, at least the ones I have known.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Rooster can be very sweet and friendly. Most are at least respectful and give the humans a wide berth. Aggressive ones are dinner. Roosters that are not human aggressive will be just as good at protecting the flock.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  10. brown egg 25

Jan 7, 2016
    Yea well he is horrible and i used to carry him around he was my favorite of our flock but hes just different now. I guess dinner is all we can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by