1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster is non gentlemanly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I heard that roosters find food for his ladies. Well, mine is still young as are the girls..11 weeks old.

Roo Dude runs to the food first every time almost frantically. He takes it from the mouths of his girls if he can. [​IMG]

Should I give him more treats or less treats? I read on another site to hold him back until the girls are all eating. I have done that and wonder if I caused this?

He lets me hold him...

Thanks,
    Ellie

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, ive got young roos outside foraging with their sisters, I havent worried about changing anything I just let their instincts kick in.
    Yes the roos are always running up to me to get first pick, they are the boss.
    However the girls also get their fare share too.
    When the roo gets older he will be more gentlemanly and help the girls find dinner in return for husbandry activities!!!
    By all means give the girls dinner first if it helps your confidence with their nutrition.
    But if you dont, dont worry, they will sort themselves out soon.
    Good luck

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh, don't worry, he's still a baby. Don't expect a man out of the boy till he's about 5 or 6 months old. [​IMG]

Even then he'll need practice. My roo's aren't gentlemen till over a year old.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My barred rock roo grew up never even having seen a hen. We introduced hens to him at a year old and he automaticly let the hens eat first while he surveys the horizon for preditors.

Just proves that it is instinctual, not learned.

Let him grow up a little and he'll be fine.

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ok, great. He is just a boy.... that I can understand. [​IMG]

I just need to wait and let him "man up" by himself.

He is really pretty cool, my Roo Dude. [​IMG]

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, just let him grow into a man and watch the beauty of his coat as he feathers out more each day.
    I love roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by