Rooster is Parenting!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willowlady1, Sep 28, 2012.

1. willowlady1

willowlady1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    I am constantly surprised by our little baby chick rearing enterprise. The chicks are now four weeks old, and the rooster is nearly as involved in teaching them as the mommy hen. They love cat kibbles, and we always put it up off the patio when we let the birds out of their chicken run. So, a few minutes ago I heard the three peepers and a bunch of the low-tone clucking and I step out onto the patio. Behold! There is the rooster nearly at the cat food which is up on a little table (he just just used the patio steps), calling to babies to come get the good stuff. LOL! Also, the babies often escape through our chain link fence into the front yard. They are almost too big, but not quite. When I go to shoo them back, invariably the mommy and the rooster are standing together on the other side of the fence doing the come-here cluck, to which the babies are paying no attention. Very entertaining, this backyard chicken endeavor.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My roosters are the same way. I have a silkie rooster in the grow out pen. He loves being a father. As does my big barred rock boy. Even after the mom gave up on mothering, Jagger still took care of those kids! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by