Rooster is skinny, already lost one to the cold who was also very skinny :(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SilverLacedLady, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SilverLacedLady

SilverLacedLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    A week and a half ago I lost my beloved barred rock roo "Yellow". I have two other roosters, a gigantic mix "Beast" and my sweet BO "Lucky". Lucky is very thin as was Yellow before he passed. Beast is very large and very heavy and I have a few hens on the skinny side too. These birds are all pets, and I want to know if there is something I can do to help them gain weight without them gaining to much, because they are never going to be dinner. Beast has been chasing Lucky and picking on him and my male Pekin "Mr. Tickles" I don't want to give him away but I don't want him to force my other birds to starve either. I am hoping there is something I can do other than baically building a coop in my barn to house Beast and his fat hens in. Otherwise Lucky will be my only roo and my girls will go crazy. Beast is very protective but he is MASSIVE in comparison. He is almost 15lbs. Lucky is skinny when I say skinny I mean he may weigh 6 lbs. I am not sure if this is a feed issue or a behavior issue or both but I figured this was a good idea to post it here. Thank you in advance for help and advice.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Provide multiple feeding and watering stations so that the dominant rooster and perhaps hens can not guard them all and keep the rest of the flock from eating.

3. SilverLacedLady

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    i have multiple feeders and water stations. a wading pool a 3 gallon drinker, a 5 gallon drinker, and two 30 lb. feeders, always full and fresh. separated Beast will chase Lucky even if they are on opposite sides of the barn, beast will go away from his feed and water just to terrorize Lucky and use his feed and water. Then he'll go chase the ducks.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Time for a little solitary confinement for 'Beast'.

5. SilverLacedLady

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    That's what I was afraid of. Unfortuneately I have them all joused in a barn and woukd have to build Beasty his own area before I can seprate them.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by