Rooster is standing funny help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jolene0111, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Jolene0111

Jolene0111 New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    [This morning my rooster is standing almost straight up with his head hanging down. I have never seen a chicken stand like this. It lookslike he is holding his butt in between his legs. He is eating, and still acting the man. At least from what I see. Someone give me some advice? I don't know what to do. Thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Could you post a picture, that might help. Guess I'm not awake yet, because I don't really understand how he is standing. Have you looked him over for an injury?

3. Jolene0111

Jolene0111 New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    picture posted and no injury that I can see. Vent is clean. I just can't figure it out. He was fine last night.

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Do you think maybe he injured his back/spine? Especially if there is no behavioral change or change in appetite. [​IMG]

5. Jolene0111

Jolene0111 New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    I can't imagine what would have happened in the coop. Nothing was amiss( not boards ot anything out of place) He was fine when I locked them up last night. This morning he was like this. I pick him up and maniplate him with no problems. I can't figure it out.

6. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Is there another rooster in there with him?? Maybe he lost his "alpha male" status??? Is he breathing ok?? Any spots on his comb or swelling around the eyes?

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Its a vitamin deficiency. Get some vitamin E jell capsules and drop the liquid into his beak twice a day. He should recover but its some work and will take a few days. Its most commonly seen in silkies.

8. Jolene0111

Jolene0111 New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    His name is Joseph and he is my only rooster... Please give me an idea as to what could be the problem.

9. myarodafarm

myarodafarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    My RIsland red is doing the same thing. He acts fine but is not standing up straight. Kind of slumped over with his head. Got me!!!

10. myarodafarm

myarodafarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    'My big man is doing the same thing. He eats fine, poops, but he use to come racing out of the hen house first one in the morning chasing all of the girls around. Now he is not the first out and he only chases a little after awhile. He is eating fine but slouching. I don't understand it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by