rooster is tough meat need recipe

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by puma_eclipse, Jun 16, 2011.

1. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    I slaughtered 7 roosters and let them sit overnight in water then froze them, well I cooked one a day later and it was very tough, I marinated it over night also, I need to know how to make the already slaughtered roosters more tender and recipes it ideas?

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I always do mine in a crockpot: 8-12 hours on slow. Start with a little olive oil on the bottom, place the chicken, add a cup or so of water, onion, garlic, and spices. Add potatoes (halved), carrots, etc. Very tender and fall-apart and delicious.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How old were they when you slaughtered?

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I was curious about the age as well. There's a thread here that talks about cooking skinless birds. I know you're not necessarily talking about cooking your roo skinless, but the brine would apply still. Meat Hunter makes a great response with his brine recipes. I plan on using one for older chickens. This is his exact response in case you're feeling lazy like me today and don't want to read through the rest of that thread! [​IMG]

Quote:

5. Southwind

Southwind Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks for the brine recipes, I haven't tried brining yet.

I slow crockpot my roos too, they come out great.

6. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Not sure of age because a lady at church gave them to me, but I would say they were at least a year and a half old and thanks for the recipes, and I skin my chickens and tops, much fast and less cholesterol.

7. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Next time let them "sit" 3 days on ice or in refrigerator before freezing. Then cook a long time on a very low temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by