1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster isn't feeling well

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by natcamp1, Jan 9, 2014.

1. natcamp1

natcamp1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    [​IMG]Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my rooster. We got him in the spring of 09 at about 4 or 5 months of age. He has been an awesome rooster. He has never looked like this before. I am worried that maybe he is getting too old to be able to handle the cold. He hardly even wakes up when I talk to him. He constantly has his feathers plumed out like in the photos. He is sitting right under the heat lamp but his comb is frost bit and his wattle seems to be swollen. Not sure if I should bring him into the house or not. Thank you for your time and help. I am worried about my boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Bring him inside and give extra heat. Check him for signs of parasites (always rule out first) such as lice/mites and worms. Check his crop and poop for anything unusual. Try to give him yummy treats such as meal worms or some warm oatmeal to see if he will eat. When you have checked all of that the results should point us in a direction to help you with.

4. [​IMG]
    Hello, and welcome, first of all I am no expert on chicken medical issues. But, it looks like it could be frostbite.. Sorry, if I am wrong, I know little about frostbite, I live where it never snows.. I hope your rooster is okay!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is suffering from severe frostbite. That's his immediate problem. In addition to that his age and possible parasitic problems may be catching up to him. I'd try moving him into a warmer environment and seeing if that helps.

6. natcamp1

Jan 9, 2014
    I have brought him in the house. He seems to have perked up. He ate and drank. I don't see mites or lice on him. I know that they are hard to see though. He isn't plucking any feathers out. I did notice while watching him eat that every few bites he would shake his head. Could he possibly have foul crop? It's hard to tell with his collar of feathers being puffed out. I got some close
    ups of his wattles. He is moving around now and looking for a way out of the kennel.
    ups of his wattles.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Gosh, your rooster looks like he was some BAD frostbite. Try putting some aloe vera on it and take him to a veterinarian immediately.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I also recommend posting in the Emergencies forum, good luck to you.

10. natcamp1

Jan 9, 2014
    I posted in the emergency forum last night. Thank you everybody. He is acting normal today. I am applying vetericyn to his cb and wattles. I am picking up some antibiotics for him. For a while he will be hanging out in his 2 room deluxe sweet in my living room. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by