1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster isn't mating the hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Top Rooster, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    So their are 2 Roos but the one I'm going to talk about is the dominant one the other had an injury and stoped muchuring to heal it it was a very bad injury but he's fine now. Anyway the one that is fine is a mix between a black australorp and something else he is near the bottom of the pecking order too but in the morning when I let them out he only tries to mate with the RIR hens which there are only 2 and that is all he tries for no one else just them there are plenty of other hens but he doesent mate them and I don't know why

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Are you sure he isn't breeding when you're not watching? You can check on this forum on how to tell fertile eggs.
    Then there are some roosters (and it seems like a very few) who will breed only their favorite hens.
    A rooster has to be at the top of the pecking order to breed hens. Is this a young rooster?
    I hadn't seen my rooster breed all my hens but when I put an assortment of eggs into the incubator, all developed and hatched.

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    How old is he and the hens? My cockerel only started mating with his hens when he was about 30 weeks old and still hasn't started crowing.

4. PoesAccomplice

PoesAccomplice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Above the Rest
    (RP?)

5. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    He is a young rooster just started to mate the hens are all over a year old

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If he's under a year old (I'm guessing between 4-6 months?), it's possible the hens aren't allowing it to happen yet. He needs to earn that right, and that will come with maturity. On the other hand, unless you're watching him every minute, he could be breeding them and you just haven't seen it happen. The only way you'll know is to check for fertile eggs, and that's not always easy to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by