Rooster isolation problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maureen&chickens, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Okay, so back in October I moved my RIR roo to live in isolation (dog house coop with his own run next to the big run) as he was VERY aggressive toward not only the rest of the flock but also to my children. Only my son's attachment to this roo that he has raised from hatching has saved him from freezer camp. To date neither coops had a heat source. The residents of the larger one seemed okay with just body heat and the lone roo was provided with bottles of hot water periodically to help keep him warm.

Today temps were down in the low 20's so we turned on the heat lamp in the large coop to keep the water thawed and gave Lou a new hot water bottle before we left for an afternoon visit. When we returned after dusk and went out to lock up he was not in his coop or his run (dog kennel with no roof). Finally found the poor guy on the roof of the other coop shivering with his feet frozen in the snow. Immediately rescued him and moved him into the heated coop. Now the concern is that the other 2 bantam roos in residence will battle him either overnight or right at dawn and someone will end up dead. We're planning to run heat to his coop tomorrow and move him back over. But, what are the chances everyone will still be alive by then?

Sorry for the rant but I'm not sure we'll sleep tonight wondering what's going on out there!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Do you have a dog crate you can put him in overnight in the coop? If not what about a large box? Then at first light, move him into his own place.

Ouch - his poor feet.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    some times its easer to explain to the kids the mean chickens need to go to freezer camp, then trying to isolate them and worrying about getting them there own pen,
    i went through the same thing with my kids, believe it or not the way i took care of it was ordered some x rocks and explained to the kids from the get go, and was completly honest in every way, now i can dispatch every kid attacking rooster we ve had, and we ve had plenty

4. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    UPDATE: They all survived the night together and so far today most have stayed inside the coop as temps are still low 20's. The 3 roos have mostly taken the attitude that if you don't mess with me I won't mess with you. Guess we'll see how long this continues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by