Rooster issue, I need advice. PLEASE give me your opinoin!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willkatdawson, Jan 6, 2011.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Our 1- 1/2 year old partridge rock attacked our 4 year old Cochin. They are both VERY sweet and docile. Neither of them has ever acted aggressive toward humans. And the Cochin has been in charge all along. By in charge I don't mean by fighting with the younger roo, but by protecting the hens that didn't want to breed with the PR. The Cochin is slow, so the best he could do is just let the hens hide behind his massive body.
    This afternoon, out of no where the PR roo jumped on the Cochin and ripped a chunk of his comb off. The Cochin was so terrified he hid under the porch. I was worried he might be so scared he might not go in the coop so I caught the PR and brought him up to the house and caged him. We took the C down to the coop and he seemed very relieved the PR was gone.
    In your opinion is this a one time thing, or should I rehome the PR. We LOVE both the Roos ver much and we are heart broken over the idea of giving up Edward, but Henry is such a gentle old man, and he's the under-dog.
    If I thought it was a one time thing I would be willing to put them back free ranging tomorrow, but I'm worried Henry's so slow he might get his eye pecked, or worse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As beautiful as he is, if he were mine the partridge rock would have to go. I like gentle roosters. I'm attached to both of mine, but if they didn't get along, the younger one would go.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sounds like the younger rooster has made his move for dominence. He has overpowered the other one for that position. If you put them back together in the flock the younger one will feel the need to re-astabilish his newly won title as dominent rooster. The cochin will get beat up some more but things should hopefully settle once the new pecking order is ironed out.

Sometimes roosters do seriously hurt each other in scuffles. If the cochin is backing down maybe the other one won't be quite so rough? Really hard to say as this can go in any direction.

If you do not want them fighting then yeah you will need to decide whether to permantly seperate them or find a new home for the one you no longer want.

4. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    exactly what i was gunna say:)
    Quote:

5. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    I had a similar situation with my two roos the other day, only much worse! I put them back in the pen together and within 5 minutes they were fighting again, so i separated them ...when I would let them out to free range one at a time, they would seek each other out and fight again... I'm talking blood evvvvverywhere, even though they were separated and fighting through chicken wire. Prior to this, they were raised together from day old chicks and lived alone together for 9 months with no problems. If one roo is not willing to back down and be submissive, I don't think there is hope for the fighting to stop...I would get rid of one of them, or keep them totally separated to be safe.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The younger rooster is coming in to his own and wants sole "ownership" of the flock. He will not back down and since he is so much more athletic than the cochin, the cochin is in trouble. Seperate them permanently or get rid of the partridge rock.

7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Thanks everyone. I was afraid y'all were going to say that. The Cochin doesn't even try to fight back. What's weird is 5 of the thirteen hens that are always with the Cochin just deserted him and went with the PR. It's so sad. I'm going to rehome the PR and let sweet Henry live out his days as the sole Roo.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have 3 roosters all living together fine! (and i only have 11 hens)
    From my understanding, roosters will usually..(but not always) work it out themselves.... some fighting is normal though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by