Rooster issue.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by conquest780, Feb 5, 2014.

1. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I had raised a baby chick from one of my hens egg. The chick was a black Cochin bantam and black Japanese bantam cross. Now it's a full sized beautiful rooster but now I have to get the lonely guy a hen. So which specie hen should I cross him with for a more beautiful chick?
    This is my rooster:[​IMG]

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I would put him with a Belgian d' Uccle hen.

3. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    I thought of a belgian d aanver.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The answer that will satisfy you depends entirely on what your personal perception of beauty is. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Do you like multiple colors, or solid, or only two?
    Strong and symmetrical patterns?
    Random asymmetrical markings?
    Any favorite colors, of skin, eyes, beak, legs, feathers, etc?
    Any favorite features, like fluffy feet, crest type, head feathering, etc?
    Size preferences?

Chances are he'd do best with a small hen but they can manage with full size ones too in most cases.

I don't know what your setup is. You say you raised him from an egg from your hen, but say he's lonely. Has be been raised alone, then? Is he isolated from the flock by barriers or by being ostracized?

If he was raised alone, I would highly recommend you get a separate run in place within his run for the introduction, so he can visit his new mate and come to know her without the possibility of fighting or harm coming to either. If he was raised without hens, he may not know what they are and instinct may be slow to kick in. If she was raised without roosters, she won't take kindly to him either, chances are.

But asides from that it's always a good idea to have a separate run for brooding, convalescing, etc birds, also quarantine areas, etc.

I'd also recommend, if he's never mated before and he has sharp points on his spurs, that you take the end millimeters off using nail clippers or something like that, because his first few attempts at mating are likely to be clumsy and could gash open her back or flanks, since from the sounds of it he's totally inexperienced (?). Sorry, I kind of assumed he's been handreared as a pet because generally a lone rooster is of that sort of rearing.

Anyway, best wishes.

5. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    See I am trying to specifically breed him to make his next generation more beautiful, and further. And this rooster has friends. Sure he's a bantam but I raised with a pair of two red jungle fowls . So I would like this colour to go alone but I would like a little white mixed with his black colour. Any suggestion of a specie

6. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    I think he's beautiful now; maybe try a variety of hens and see which colors turn out favorably to you then stick with your favorite.

7. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    I would try to mix in another colour . I'll try a Japanese bantam golden or brown and will see the results.

8. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Hoping for shorter feet and a little more pointed tail.

9. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Will keep updating .

10. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    This is just a project for fun to produce a very beautiful chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by