1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster issues...kind of long

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k625, Dec 27, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey everyone, hope you all had a great Holiday!! I have a question about one of my silkie roosters. I orionally had 3 silkies...2 roos and 1 hen..( that was on accident) They have been raised together since they were a day old. At about 3 months I got 2 frizzled polish hens that were already about 3 months old. They all got along great, everyone slept in the house together and everything was fine. As of about a week or two ago my one rooster began to crow, when he started doing that he became quite agressive towards my polish, and will chase them away from food and peck them very meanly after doing a little dance with his feet. The two polish now sleep on top of the house for some reason, until I shove them in at night for protection. So I guess my question is...why is he doing this all of a sudden, and whats is problem, and will this get better to where he is not mean to them anymore like that???

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He has matured.

When you feed hold him to the side and let the hens eat first, eventually he'll get the idea.

3. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I figured he was maturing, but I didnt think he would be a jerk..lol .if I do the feeding thing, and he does well with that will he eventually breed with my polish do you think? Or will he always dislike them somewhat?

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    It may take some time. It took a looooong time for my moms barred rocks to get along with my silkies. It depends on the personality of the chicken

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You only have 3 hens?

He will mate with your polish... and your cat...and ducks... and rabbits...dogs that get too close...

You get the picture. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Rooster red...LOL OMG so funny, so he may have to be seperated at some point then, so my girls dont wind up sore and bald lol. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by